Tuesday 31 January 2012





http://type-truck.com/the-truck/


It was originally a fleet truck for American Linens, and their logo is still faintly visible beneath the white body paint. I bought it from a very kind man in Washington who was mid way through an RV conversion. He had installed a shower, toilet, stove, fridge, water heater, a massive propane tank, and convertible sleeping bench. It was a shame to rip out all his hard work, but I wanted to customize the interior to work for this project. As nice as it would be to have all those amenities onboard, I needed the space to function as a printshop, with adequate work and storage space. And so, one sunny day in April, my brother and I tore everything out. Floors, walls, ceiling, ratty insulation… everything down to the metal skeleton. In retrospect, this is something we should have done *much* earlier but, you know, I’d never torn up a truck before. I think I was also struggling with some anxiety about the whole thing, feeling like I was in over my head and just didn’t know where to begin. Turns out that diving right into demolition work and spending some time working under the truck is an incredibly empowering experience, and was just what I needed to feel like maybe, just maybe, this was something I could actually pull off.



No comments:

Post a Comment