Saturday 28 April 2012

Design Context Publication -
Photography


Describe your work in two sentences.
I photograph people I feel close to.
Would you consider your work documentary or art?
I don’t really put my work in one of the corners… I think it depends on the place where it’s shown. If it’s shown in a museum, it may be received as art, though the work didn’t change at all. If it’s in a magazine it might be called documentary.
Do you consider your work diaristic or is there an element of staging?
I try to be as diaristic as possible, but with photography there is always an element of staging I guess, there are loads of texts about this question  but I use cameras that are as small as possible so that they don’t become a strong element in the interaction with people.
You’ve created works about incredibly personal subjects such as Gosia. Do you have a close relationship with all your subjects?
Yes, I try to. I think that you can tell more about a person, photographically as well, when you spend a lot of time with them. I trust a portrait series much more than single portraits, as you are able to see the subject in many different situations / from different sides instead of judging it from the look, its clothes and the background of one image. The more images of someone you know, the harder it is to box them inside a stereotype.
There seems to be an element of pathos as well as humour in some of your work. Do you see them as interlinked?
There are moments in everyday life that are incredible but that you don’t have the time to recognize or even perceive right away. Photography helps in that respect. When I’m alone, putting together a series, I seem to choose pictures that look more grave than the situation maybe was. The humourous side comes from my personality maybe, how I interact with people. I’m not sure really. I sound like a dick here.
What do you find exciting about self-publishing?
That the works or stories told don’t have to live up to any commercial standard. You don’t need a middle man / publisher that has to think about numbers/business, judging the work.
Where’s best, Linz or Paris?
It’s hard to compare the two cities as they are so different in size. And I lived much longer in Linz so I know more people there and that makes living a lot nicer. But Ii think generally it’s good if the city you’re living in has a kind of artistic vacuum, that there is a lack of something, that you are able to fill. In Paris every brick has a history, everything spills over with cliché. I don’t really feel able to contribute to that.

http://usedmagazine.co.uk/?p=786

No comments:

Post a Comment